Find Your Play Heroes
creative, for the parents
Parents, this one’s for you! Think back to your own childhood, or look around for inspiration from the kids and playful adults in your life. Consider the following:
- Who (or what) plays well? What are qualities you admire?
- How might you be inspired by their playful spirit?
- Where does play fit into your life?
- How does play and playfulness fit into working toward a more just world? How can(your) levity be a tool in social justice?
Now, go play! Or, try on a new playfulness quality. Or tell someone you appreciate how they play. Or tell someone they are your play hero!
Change the Rules!
creative, ages 8+
This is a ‘meta-game’ to try every once in a while with your favorite games. Here’s how:
- Select a board or card game, or even a physical outside game.
- Before beginning, agree upon 2-3 new rules using certain criteria, such as:
Making it harder for everyone; making it easier for everyone; making it harder for the adults; making it easier for the adults; what are the rules on Tuesdays? What are the rules for hot days? Etc etc.
- Notice what it feels like to play that way, and then try another set of new rules. Be creative! Be experimental!
Points of reflection & learning that may arise:
- What is easier? What is harder? (for this particular game)
- What is fair (for this particular game)? What is unfair?
- What makes this game fun to play together?
- Do we like any of our new rules and want to use them again?